Easy Honey Cornbread
Cornbread is an easy and satisfying side. Add some honey to the equation and you've got a quick breakfast bread.
Salad, Soup, Breakfast
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat Oven to 400º F (200 C). Lightly grease an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
- Fresh honey is much thicker than commercial honey. Boil water and pour it in the medium sized bowl that will be used for the liquids, and set it aside. This helps the thick honey to melt and mix with the other ingredients easier.
- I recommend using an electric mixer.
Step 1: In a large bowl, wisk together dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt) and set aside.
Step 2: In the medium bowl:
- Empty the hot water from the pre-warmed medium bowl.
- Immediately pour the honey and oil into the bowl and beat with mixer until well blended before the bowl cools off too much.
- Add the milk and eggs and blend until everything is of one consistency.
Step 3: Pour liquids into bowl of dry ingredients and mix together until combined.
Step 4: Spread batter in prepared baking pan. Top with raw sugar before baking for a nice crystalized sugar topping
Step 5: Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Don't over-bake it or it will be dry. Check for doneness at 20 minutes by inserting a toothpick into center of the bread; when it comes out clean, the cornbread is done - if not, let it cook 2-3 minutes more but that's it.
I like to spread butter on it and drizzle it with more honey when I eat it for breakfast. Yum!
Ideas and Variations
Honeycomb Shaped Cornbread
- Honeycomb Metal molds are available at Nordic Ware
- Honeycomb Silicone molds are available on Amazon
Round Pan and Muffin Shapes
- Bake with cast-iron skillet or muffin tins in the oven.
- Great for on-the-go breakfast
Add Fruit and Nuts
- Fruit: Add 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, blueberries or whatever your preference. If using frozen fruit, be sure that it's thawed and drained.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, etc.
Mirrorbee® is a participant in the Amazon Associates affiliate advertising program as well as others, which are designed to help us earn commissions. Earnings from affiliate links allows Mirrorbee to continue to grow and stay true to our mission of bringing you our favorite picks on the market. If you have any questions or would like more information on how this works, please feel free to reach out to us directly through our Contact Page.